Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pulled Pork

Okay, I know, I promised you to post about the Pork Shoulder…..but finally... here it is!!!

Always wanted to make Pulled Pork but the fact that it would take so many hours I never thought I ever would….. Remember, I don’t have a smoker, just a regular Weber and that makes it a bit more difficult. But I did it!!
Wew! I decided to buy a small shoulder (bone in), only 2 lbs so that would mean it would be ready in about 6 hours, and that I could manage!


I choose this recipe from Noskos (sorry it’s in Dutch) and used the same rub (Southern Succor Pork Rub) and oh I can tell you it was a huge success!!! Now that I found out I can do this, I definitely will make it more often!

For the Southern Succor Pork Rub I used (not quite following the original recipe):
¼ cup (ground) black pepper
¼ cup paprika powder
¼ cup light brown / cane sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

This mixture was too much for the small amount of meat I had, but you can store it for later use.
Let the shoulder marinade for at least one day (in the fridge of course).



It was not easy keeping the temperature of the Weber at a constant low between 225 – 250F, so if you’re gonna try this too on a regular barbecue, keep an eye on the temperature!

I also used some wood chunks from Baxter's Original and I used the whiskey soaked almond chunks, oh I love whiskey! After 2 hours I sprayed the meat with a mixture of apple juice and whiskey, repeated this every hour and enjoyed the smell!!

Note: the Pork Shoulder is ready when it has reached 190F.

This might not be the usual way to make Pulled Pork, but it worked for me and that’s the most important!

The result:


I used the Pulled Pork in the baked beans (mentioned here), of course for Pulled Pork sliders with Big Butz BBQ Sauce (Original) served with coleslaw, and there’s still some pork left in the freezer that I want to use in a pasta sauce!



3 comments: